Sunday, February 2, 2014

SoCal Spartan Race - Temecula, CA (January 25-26th 2014)


SoCal Spartan Race - Temecula, CA (January 25-26th 2014)

"It's not about the placement it's about the fight, the willingness to push yourself past what is comfortable - That's how progress is made, that's how Spartans are made." - Laura Messner

Like every Spartan Race, the Temecula, CA event was a whole new experience to learn and grow from. Similar to the week before the Fenway Spartan Race in November I unfortunately got sick the Monday before and I was supposed to fly out on that Wednesday. I came down with the chills, sore throat, cough, headache, ear ache, stomach ache. I was terrified I had got the flu and my flight was seeming awfully close. Immediately I nurse the sickness. Water water water, vitamins, and lots of sleep. By Tuesday afternoon I was well enough to move around out of bed, giving me confidence that I would be able to make it to California. I knew I would so upset and kicking myself in the butt if I felt better by Friday and decided to stay home. I guess you could say this was a good time to STFU!! :P 

I safely made it to CA and I am SO glad I did. The energy before, during and after the weekend seemed much different then usual. Maybe it was because the weather was perfect (Weird. haha) or because of the excitement of it being the first race of the year? Maybe both. Either way the weekend was a huge success. - Great course, amazing staff, inspirational athletes and a beautiful location. 

A couple days prior to the race I was back and fourth thinking what races should I run? Originally I had planned to run the Super on Saturday and the Sprint on Sunday, but after being sick the super course was looking more and more like a bad idea. The other options I had were to either not run and wait for Sunday's sprint or run both days, sprints. The only down side to running the Saturday sprint was there was no points or cash rewards for running. -- BUT wait a minute. Why should I be worried about money or points? I am blessed enough and well enough to be here, blessed enough to have the ability to run at all. So instead of focusing on the negative I took a second to change these negative thoughts and transform them into something positive. Since it didn't seem too smart to try to push through my cough/sore throat in a longer race that I knew I was not ready for, I decided I was going to run for someone/something other then myself. I ran for Autism, for Richard Jr. -Richard is my 26 year old autistic brother and one the happiest kids I know. He's extremely caring, loving and if you are a Disney movie fan then you have a new best friend for life! ;) Running for him gave this weekends race a whole knew meaning. 

Arriving at the event on Saturday I knew I made the right choice when the first song I hear playing from the DJ booth was "My Sharona". This is my brothers go to song on Karaoke night. So although I still was not feeling my best, I felt good knowing that his spirit was with me. That podium had his name all over it.

The beginning of the race I had doubt. My leg muscles instantly tightened up, my throat felt as dry and scratchy as sand paper and I could hear the negative voices starting to enter my head. Thing is, it is difficult living on the North East coast in the winter where there is little desire or motivation to do any hill training. This of course makes for a more painful experience coming to the west coast, jumping right into it and causes a huge shock to my joints. I can sadly say the last time I did hill work outside was at the Malibu Sprint in December. Doesn't matter how much endurance training you do inside of a gym, If you don't train your muscles for the rugged outdoor terrain then your body is definitely going to feel it. Usually after racing I feel it in my ankles more then anywhere else because they are constantly getting rolled or hit with something on the trails. I try to always remember that I am NOT the only one going through these pains. When my body is hurting and I want to quit, instead of feeling sorry for myself with a pity party I remind myself that there is another athlete running who is going through the same struggles I am. If they can push through the pains with hearts full of determination then whats stopping me from doing the same? This thought process gave me the strength I needed to keep running and not stop during those moments I left my comfort zone. It only seemed fair that for only an hour of suffering I would be able to give my brother a reason to smile! :)

Passing that finish line on the first day knowing I won first place for my brother and in support of other kids with autism instantly made my weekend/trip complete. Going from the possibility of not making my flight at all because I didn't feel well to bringing home a first place award to share with my brother.


The quote I put at the top of the blog was the words I found after this weekend. Reminded me that these Spartan Races are more then just what placement or time you got on the course compared to the other racers. Its more importantly about how hard you are willing to push yourself, how many goals you are willing to achieve and having the ability to experience that power, that proud awareness in the moment you pass that finish line and say "I did it!"

Next stop for me is the Arizona Sprint on the 8-9th of February. If I don't see you at that race, I hope to see you at one in the near future. Stay positive and keep smiling :D

Till next time.
Laura*Messner









1 comment:

  1. Thanks a lot for your great post.your article is very interest of race.it give more unknown information.i hope you will give more interest post. fifa world cup

    ReplyDelete