Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Fenway Spartan Race - November 16th 2013


There is a beauty inside each Spartan Race I run and that is the fact that each one you are able to learn something new about yourself. If you have ever experienced the thrill of a Spartan Race then you know that a lot of the race is a big blur - Going from one obstacle to another there is little time to reflect on what you are feeling or doing until you realize that you are being tested, pushed to the extremes. For example when you are reflecting back on your past, MOST people (not all) will immediately start thinking about a time that was painful to them, a horrible experience, something surrounded by negativity. Why does this happen? This reaction happens because it was a time you were placed outside your comfort zone, when you are thinking and/or feeling the most. We all tend to be drawn to these moments that challenge or scare us. All OCR events hold similar moments of fear, constantly throwing challenges at you, but in a more positive light. Instead of focusing my energy on a meaningless negative energy ( ex: obsessing over what someone may have said about you, etc) I am now redirecting my energy reflecting on the pain I endured to reach my goals or face my fears. 

Unlike other Spartan Races I have competed in, Fenway held a whole new test for me. Three days prior to the race I came down with a sore throat which of course lowered my immune system, weakening my muscles. Resting in between the time of race and when I got sick was crucial, but may no have been enough time to regain my strength back in my body.

Once race day came I felt at a 90%. My throat was feeling fine and I felt pretty good overall so I was confident that I would be able to power through the course. --How wrong I was-- After completing the first couple of obstacles my strength was slowly slipping. I have never in my life felt like this before. It was as though with each step I took my muscles kept getting more and more contracted, never releasing. The more I tried to "Embrace the Suck" and push through the pain the more contracted and sore my muscles became. What was going on?? I guess this is what happens when you try to overpower sickness and it was just my bodies slap in the face to say "SLOW DOWN!" haha. Slow down? What doesn't that mean? :P On top of that I could barely breathe without the cold air ripping up my throat like razor blades. 

During the race I just got to a point where I surrendered to the red flags my body was throwing at me. I was only going to do myself more harm then good if I continued to push myself past the point of what I knew my body was capable of in its vulnerable state. Immediately I created new goals for myself which was *Make it through the rowers and make sure to NEVER stop moving forward* -- With these goals set I made sure to give those BRUTAL rowers my 110% and feed my mind positive affirmations to keep me moving. 

I watched as girl after girl passed me and at first I was upset. I trained for this race and wanted to succeed, but I quickly had to turn that self destroying attitude into a learning experience. It helped me recognize my growth just within this last year. Before I would have allowed my placement to ruin my day and because of that I would have "punished" myself - Saying, "I should have been stronger", "sickness isn't an excuse" etc. I would have been ashamed of myself and thats NOT living at all. Races are supposed to be fun no matter where you place because all and all in the end it is NOT all about you. Remind yourself why you come out to be a part of Spartan Race. For me its much much more then the time spent competing. I keep coming back for the people, for the stories they share, for the support, encouragement and unconditional love they bring into my life.

The camaraderie within Spartan Race is unreal. I am a completely different person because of it and for the better.

After the elite heat I went out again with Amanda Ricciardi, her family and several other amazing spartan racers. It was her sister Adriana's first spartan race and to be a part of that experience, watching her determination and struggles through each obstacle was truly powerful. Being asked to be a part of their team really meant a lot to me. After all its the little things in life that mean the most!

  


















As if two laps were not enough I then decided to run again with Team Red White and Blue. Talk about a team with the biggest hearts! Running with meaning, with inspiration and discipline. They continue to prove to me and several others that we are capable of so much more then we think and I always look forward to learning something new from them! :)




















So what did I learn at Fenway? I learned that though things may not go the way you may have originally planned, don't let that stop you from making the best of your day. Also the importance of knowing the difference between uncomfortable pain and damaging pain. Out of all the Spartan Races I have done Fenway was definitely one of the best I have been a part of. Great event, inspiring people, amazing staff, fun course and incredible athletes from all over. Its true when they say life is what you make of it-- and life IS beautiful! 

Till next time,
Laura Messner













No comments:

Post a Comment